Thursday, March 17, 2011

THE FIGHTING McLAINS


My family has always celebrated St. Patrick’s Day, because I wanted my girls to not only remember their Irish ancestry, but also honor a man that was such a wonderful Missionary to Ireland; helping to preserve the Bible for us to enjoy today.  The funny thing is that after most of my girls had married I discovered that we weren’t really Irish after all, but Scottish!  Lol!

I was told that my mother’s Scottish ancestry goes all the way back to Lochbuie on the island of Mull in the Scottish Highlands.  The Clan Maclaine of Lochbuie is a fierce bunch whose family crest badge is of a Battle Axe with a branch of laurel and a branch of cypress on either side.  The motto above the axe is: Vincere vel mori (Latin for To conquer or die).  The Mull District tartan is plaid in colors of green, blue and black.  Legend has it that our Clan descendants fought beside William Wallace and against any who would come against Scotland’s right to rule themselves.


My descendants did eventually move from Scotland and settle in America.  My grandfather (Roy Calvin McLain) carried on that fighting tradition and was in the Army during World War II from 1938 – 1946.  He was a very handsome man and always stood tall and proud. I can remember him with a smile on his face, a spring in his step and he always whistled a happy tune.


My nephew is a Marine SSGT, currently serving in Japan.  I know that he continues to carry on the McLain heritage to fight for honor, justice and for those in need that cannot help themselves; as the Marine's put it, "Semper Fi!" (Always Faithful).  I am quite a proud aunt as you can tell!  Lol!  And just as proud of his lovely wife that is there beside him taking care of their children, even in this difficult time.  America will continue to stand strong as long as there are those willing to fight to defend her and for those who call upon her for aid.  As my nephew would say, "Oorah!" 

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment